Sunday, February 23, 2014

Halloween (Michael Myers) from Polar Lights

That is correct.  Still no Aurora Plastics treasures posted here.  I have not yet had the time to pull anything down from the shelves to photograph.  I have a 1999 PL Mummy, a few Batmobiles and the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine already available to photograph, so they will probably be next.  I also have some Johnny West items photographed so we might see some of that fairly soon.  

To whet the appetite for things to come, I will show my favorite Aurora ad of all time.  This one is from the back cover of DC comic books in 1966.  Although I really like the Monster Scenes 1 page comic ad from 1971, the one below is my all time favorite.  I stared at this one for months until I had all the kits pictured with the exception of Wonder Woman.  This ad has DC Comics, Marvel Comics and most of the characters had either a live action or animated stories at the time.  I remember Batman, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Zorro re-runs, Lost in Space, Spider-man on Saturdays and the Marvel Heroes in the afternoons, Superboy animated and Superman (live action re-runs and animated) but I honestly do not remember Wonder Woman being on television at the time.  So, I think Aurora fudged a bit on the ad blurb at the top, because aside from Wonder Woman, the Batman TV series and movie did not have a Batplane, either.  

 A friend of mine back in the day actually tore a copy of this ad off one of his comics, thumb tacked it to the wall of his room, and put a big ol' ball point pen X over the kits as he got them.  I don't think he ever got all of the kits from the ad, but I do remember he found a Green Beret kit several months before I found one.  By the way, I wanted the Wonder Woman, but I never found a copy of the kit in the 1960's.  The Wonder Woman kit I did not own until the 2010 Moebius re-issue. 

Polar Lights re-issued a lot of the old Aurora kits starting in the late 90's and they also made quite a number of new ones.  I will later be showing Kiss and the Mummy and a few others, but first up is Michael Myers from Halloween.  This is an awesome kit.  One of the things I loved about the Aurora kits were the bases and if you are a fan of bases which really set the scene, this kit will not disappoint.  I am not the biggest fan of the Halloween franchise, but I am a big fan of this kit.  I just love everything,  the spilled candy, the mask, the jack o'lantern and even the front porch.  There are even dead leaves blown around the yard.  The only thing I think could have been added would have been a backdrop of the front of the house.  I think that would have really set it off.  They did it for Kiss, why not for Michael?
This model has been out of production for over a decade, so it is a little hard to find.  I do see a respectable number of still sealed copies on ebay, normally in the price range of $50 to $150.  Shop around and you might even get a better deal than $50.  


I have been working on some 1/35 figures and vehicles.  I am very deep into the planning and development stages of a WWII diorama based on a street scene in France in 1942 and have starting buying the kits I need.  The first to arrive in the post was the Master Box Checkpoint.  Master Box is a model company based in the Ukraine and they are issuing a lot of really great items which have been missing from the hobby shop shelves before this.  If you have any interest in 1/35 modeling, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

I did just put the final touches on a Mole People vinyl kit made by Horizon in1988 and now I am designing a base for it.  Made some little mushrooms for the base already.  After all, what would the Mole People be without some 'shrooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment