Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Athos, First of the Musketeers by Aurora 1959

After the Crusader and Viking, the 3 Musketeers make my list.  I have always been fascinated by these models because the bases are somewhat pie shaped and when you place them together the figures are crossing their swords in the traditional all for one and one for all stance from virtually every movie ever made even loosely based on the Alexandre Dumas novel.  All three kits were released in 1959.  
First up is Athos.  I bought this kit as a glue bomb from an estate sale.  I was able to pretty much disassemble him, clean him up and put him together properly.  
Below you will see an image of the box followed by a photo of my completed kit.  I believe the one thing that surprised me the most when working on these kits is that the sword is a piece of wire, not molded plastic, but more surprising to me is the scabbard is mostly made of another piece of wire the same diameter and length.  Guess these are multi-media kits.  Not the first ones ever designed, but at least very early for Aurora.



Ramblings
If you looked at earlier posts, you might remember I recently picked up the re-issue of the 1962 AMT Double Dragster kit.  For maximum customization it includes 3 bodies, 3 frames, 3 engines and some other extra parts.  Enough stuff to build 2 complete dragsters.  I have a model kit of a garage that has been on the shelf for a lot of years waiting its turn on the modeling table and I thought, hey, why not combine them?
So when I get to this project, I will not only build two dragsters, I will build a garage with a dragster in the process of being built in it.

Diorama Diary

I have gotten a little more done.  The Officer examining the papers and the civilian presenting the papers are now painted.