Friday, March 21, 2014

Aurora King Kong 1964

The 8th Wonder of the World has arrived!  The mighty giant ape lumbered onto our shelves in 1964 courtesy of Aurora.  This base and kit are not to be out-done by any other.  Aside from the trees and rocks and such, Kong is actually standing on a squished big lizard.  This one is also pretty awesome.  I will mention that Aurora left out some of the tree tops when they made the glow kit, and these parts have been included in none of the re-issues since that time of which I am aware.  Just tossin' that out there for ya.  According to the glow box, the King Kong kit is the same scale as my model cars (1/25 in case your forgot).
Below is the original box, glow box and my built up.





Ramblings
Speaking of scale, which I did in the Kong kit above, I was looking into some Can Am racers.  The most common scale is 1/24!  How unfair is that?  I have to have a whole shelf devoted to 1/24 if I want to build Can Am racing machines.  But who can resist owning the Chaparral 2D and 2F, the McLaren M8D, Lola T-70, Porsche 917, etc.  Love these car designs.  Time to plan another shelf.


Diorama Diary
(Not Really)
Well, I need to add license plates, but other than that the Hot Rod is finished.  This vehicle must have come from the JC Whitney catalogue, also called "the home of the chrome."  If it could be chromed, this kit chromed it.
I have now scratched that car building itch and should get back to painting figures for the 1942 France diorama.  AMT included a miniature of the model kit box with the kit.  I believe I have found the next thing which will be a part of the modeling shadow box.  




No comments:

Post a Comment