Monday, March 10, 2014

Aurora Dracula 1961-62

Some sources say the second monster kit, Dracula, was issued in 1961 and others say 1962.  I don't remember 'cause I am old and the memory is a tricky thing.  What I do remember is this is the first really detailed monster base and I immediately fell in love with it.  Rotten trees, grass, limbs, bats...what is not to love about this base?  The only real issue I had with this kit is the same as with all kits with capes.  The cape is so heavy it requires props to stay in one place long enough for the glue to dry.  The back half will stay on the model, but the front pieces are a real challenge sometimes.
Images below of the 1st issue long box, the Frightening Lightning box and the glow in the dark box followed by my built up.







Ramblings
I know some people have complained about the head not looking exactly like Bela Lugosi, just like Frankenstein did not look exactly like Boris Karloff.  I could be wrong, but I think that is because Aurora licensed the character from Universal Studios and not the likeness of the actor.  Also, I would like to point out that while there have been kits made in the past 10 years that are "nicer, more detailed, etc" according to some people, Aurora sculptors and designers had a fixed price point.  One of the big questions they always had to answer was "what can you put in a cardboard box for 98 cents?  I am fully aware some of their kits cost more than 98 cents, but that was the basic price of most of their figure kits for this time period.  In recent times it seems there is no definite price point for model kits, there is just how much are you going to charge?  You sure as shootin' should be able to make a "better" kit for $50 or $100 than someone else made for $10.  If you can't, you probably need to be in a different business.  
I remember one of the most anticipated kits of all time for my generation, the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space.  Rumor has it Aurora never made one because the boss thought the ship was boring.  Polar Lights released one for $20.  This one had it's share of problems.  I think the worst was it had loveseats instead of pilot chairs, but that could just be me.  We had one at last.  It looked good from the outside and if you were willing to put the time and work in, you could made a really nice model of the Jupiter 2 interior.  Look at the price point.  Moebius comes along a few years later and makes one which will just knock your socks off.  It is awesome.  They left out the lower deck interior (I didn't care, to be honest, the three decks the ship is supposed to have do not really fit inside the exterior design anyway) but they got pretty much everything else exactly right.  And everything should be right for $110.  
Believe me when I say I am not knocking the companies or the people who work for them, whether they are sculptors or marketing or the guy or girl answering the phone when you call and say your invisible man is a little more invisible than he should be because your box is missing the head.  
I am just saying the entire industry has changed and sometimes I am nostalgic for the time when this was a hobby enjoyed by thousands of kids instead of a relatively few adults.  The original Aurora kits had their target audience and a target price point and they did phenomenal work within their boundaries.  They did not have the option of coming back later and making a newer, snazzier more wonderfuller Frankenstein for $10 or $20.  Actually they made the large Gigantic Frankenstein for $5 and the cost was too high for it to sell.  I have never heard any reports of how well the Munster's Living Room did at $2.98, but I do not believe it could have been too great as it was not produced for very long.

Diorama Diary

(Not Really)
Ok, taking a little bit of a break from the diorama while I work on some plans for it.  
Narrator's voice:  "Meanwhile, on a rainy and somewhat dreary day back in the modeling cave..."
I got a little anxious on the Model T from AMT.  I am building one as a regular 1925 drop top and out of the many colors available that year, which range all the way from black to...uhhh...black, I chose black.  In fact, pretty much the whole car is either flat or gloss black.  Have to admit, the instructions make this build a little more interesting than it needs to be.    These are not the absolute best instructions I have ever seen, but they do have an ok exploded diagram of the parts so if you pretty much already know what you are doing you can figure out the rest.  This one was definately not set up for a beginner.  Just sayin.
All of the above being said, I think it will be a fun build and I have put together the frame, engine, wheels and tires and some painting is finished.
I am seriously thinking about buying another one of these so I can build the pickup version.  But I digress.


I am not adding spark plug wires or anything to the engine as I am gluing the cowling on, so these shots right here are the only times anyone will see the engine.  Since the Lincoln V8 for the other car in the box will be exposed, it will get a lot better treatment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment