Friday, October 30, 2015

Wolfman's Wagon 1965 & Chief Cherokee

This kit went together ok for me.  Truth be told, the only ones I really had fit problems with were the Frankenstein's Flivver and the Mummy's Chariot.  The original Wolfman kit came with a couple of rats and that theme is continued here.  Several of the little beasties are crawling all over the place.  Based the paint scheme on the box illustration as I am prone to do with this series of kits.  


Original box:



My built up




Johnny West Corner:


Chief Cherokee



The only Native American I normally display with the feather headdress, although all of them came with one.  In fact, they all came with a complete set of Chief Cherokee accessories.  This figure was first issued in 1965.  I would urge the viewing public to remember these were based on the popular Movie and TV westerns of the 40's through the 60's and did not even pretend to be historically accurate.  Hence the headdress would be for a Chief, not for a great warrior.  I love all the equipment these figures come with.  Makes it a bit of a pain as a collector, but it was great as a kid.  When I post the JWA version, you will be able to see him with more of his equipment.



The chief below is my early edition.  He has a different body than the later issue which was a caramel version of Geronimo.  As far as I know, this earlier version is the only one with this body style.  Yes, it is brittle, just like early Johnny's.  Apparently, Marx did not plan for people to be collecting these well into the next century!


Although nowhere near perfect, or even acceptable, this is the box which came with the Chief pictured above.  I paid considerably less for the set than the $299.00 price tag would suggest.

Although I am not much of a Canadian collector,  here is a Chief from Canada which I happened onto.  You can see the difference between the early and later bodies by comparing the two.





No comments:

Post a Comment